If you think you will need help during a disaster, talk to family, friends, and others who will be part of your personal support network.
Quick tips for getting prepared
- Write down your emergency plan and share it with your support network
- Plan how to evacuate from your home or workplace and select several options of where to go if there’s a disaster
- Practice your plan with those who have agreed to be part of your support network
Prepare your support network
- Make sure that someone has a key to your home and knows where you keep your emergency supplies.
- Prepare a health information card detailing your medical needs, including medications and allergy information.
- Teach your support network how to use any lifesaving equipment, and how to administer medication in case of an emergency.
- If you undergo routine treatments or receive regular services such as home health care, treatment, or transportation, talk to your service provider about their emergency plans.
Prepare your supplies
- If you take medication, have enough to make it on your own for a week or longer.
- Consider needs such as eyeglasses, hearing aids and batteries, wheelchair batteries, and oxygen.
- Keep a list of the style and serial number of medical devices. Include operating information and instructions. Make sure your support network has copies of these documents.
Take a closer look
Will you need special assistance during an emergency? Use these resources to help you plan what you’ll need.