Safety at work will help ensure a safe return home to your family. With the right supplies, you can turn your workplace into a temporary shelter.
Quick tips for preparing at work
Plan in advance
- Make alternate accommodation arrangements with co-workers, family, or friends
- Arrange for someone to pick up and care for your children and pets
- Make a work emergency kit
Make a work emergency kit
These items will fit in an athletic bag or backpack you can keep at work. If you have to evacuate, use this bag as a grab-n-go kit:
- Food and water — Minimum 4 L bottled water and ready-to-eat food
- Safety and comfort — Whistle, hard hat, seasonal change of clothes, flashlight, sturdy shoes, work gloves, emergency cash
- Communications — Cell phone charger or solar-powered battery charger, AM/FM radio (windup or battery operated), out of area contact card
- Health and hygiene — Toiletries such as tissues, soap, toothpaste, toothbrush, deodorant, and medications
Take a closer look
Are you ready to prepare for an emergency at work? Use these resources to get started.