The provincial Emergency Social Services Program delivered by NSEM can provide evacuees with assistance for the first 72 hours after an incident.

After this 72 hour period, there are a number of agencies in the community that offer assistance.

The following is a list of contacts and other information to help you connect with the assistance you may require.


Medication – Pharmacy/Other Costs

  • BC College of Pharmacists has an Emergency Fill Policy for residents who need emergency refills of prescription medication. You can go to your regular Pharmacist (if possible) and explain your situation (i.e. cannot access medication due to fire). The pharmacist should provide you with an emergency supply of medication.
  • Additional costs not covered under medicare needs to be worked out on an individual basis.

Replacing Personal Identification

  • RCMP – Call the non-emergency number 604-985-1311
  • RCMP NV18-14260

Redirecting Mail - Canada Post: or 1-800-267-1177

  • Postal Code Prefixes: V7M V7S V7T V7V V7W V7P V7R:
    Depot: 949 3rd Street West, North Vancouver
    Hours Monday – Friday 08:45 am to 2:30 pm
  • Postal Code Prefixes: V7G V7H v7J V7K V7L V7N:
    Depot: 270 Harbour Ave, North Vancouver
    Hours Monday – Friday 08:30 am to 02:30 pm

    Key Contacts

    Driver's License: Motor Vehicle Branch 1-888-715-7775
    Passports: Passport Office 1-800-567-6868
    Birth, Death, Marriage Certificates 1-888-876-1633
    Provincial Government Care Card 1-604-683-7151
    Income Tax Records 1-800-959-8281
    Citizenship & Immigration Centre 1-888-242-2100
    Canada Pension Plan 1-800-277-9914
    Auto Registration, title cards etc. 1-800-464-5050
    Military Discharge 1-866-522-2122
    MasterCard 1-800-247-4623
    Visa 1-800-428-1858
    American Express 1-800-864-3016
    Bank Documents: Your bank as soon as possible


    • Home Owner Insurance
      • Your plan may have coverage for Alternative Living Expenses. Please contact your insurance broker to determine what may be covered. Ensure that you are made aware of the maximum value for this coverage so that you do not exceed what is covered
    • Individual Content Insurance
      • If you have individual content insurance that can cover your damage costs, you will need to contact your insurance agent immediately to arrange for payment on purchases you are making. Be sure to keep all receipts. If your home is unfit to live in, you will want to confirm your insurance coverage for additional living expenses.
      • Because this was an evacuation where you were denied access to your home, you should also ask your agent whether you have prohibited access coverage.
    • Insurance Bureau of Canada - Assistance in resolving insurance related concerns is available by calling the Insurance Bureau of Canada Consumer Information Line at 604-684-3635 ext. 222, or toll free at 1-844-227-5422.


    BC Housing - long term housing options for displaced residents –  604-433-2218 and access to the following housing services

    • Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER) - helps make rents affordable for BC seniors with low to moderate incomes. SAFER provides monthly cash payments to subsidize rents for eligible BC residents who are age 60 or over and who pay rent for their homes. The links below provide more information on SAFER.

    Eligibility Requirements:

    • You are age 60 or older
    • You pay more than 30% of your gross (before tax) monthly household income towards the rent for your home, including the cost of pad rental for a manufactured home (trailer) that your own and occupy.
    • Meet one of the following Citizenship requirements: Canadian citizen(s); or authorized to take up permanent residence in Canada; or Convention refugee(s).
    • You and your spouse (with whom you are living) have lived in British Columbia for the full 12 months immediately preceding your application; and

    If you are eligible, SAFER may subsidize part of the rent that is over 30% of your income. The subsidy is calculated to give the most assistance to people with the least income. Call 604-433-2218 for further information and press 1.

    • Rental Assistance Program – provides eligible low-income, working families with cash assistance to help with monthly rent payments.  Call 604-433-2218 and press 3.
    • Housing Registry - The Housing Registry Program provides subsidized housing for frail seniors, people at risk of homelessness, people with disabilities, and low-income families, including women and children fleeing abuse. Applicants must be resident of British Columbia. Call 604-433-2218 and press 2.

    Homeowner Protection Office – Public Registry of Licensed Residential Builders and Building Envelope Renovators, New License and Owner Builder Authorization applications and the Licensed Builder Portal.
    Call: 604-646-7050 Toll Free in Canada: 1-800-407-7757 [email protected]     
    Suite 650 – 4789 Kingsway, Burnaby, BC, V5H 0A3

    Co-Op Housing Federation

    •  604 879-5111



    North Shore Multicultural Society – helps people learn about and understand the systems and services available in Canada. Translation services.

    [email protected]

    The Salvation Army – provides emergency service to individuals and families in distress including assistance with food clothing and furnishing.

    North Vancouver Centre
    105 12th Street West, North Vancouver, BC V7M 1N2

    Canadian Red Cross

    Burnaby Branch 604-709-6600 Fax: 604-709-6675
    3400 Lake City Way, Burnaby, BC, V5A 4Y2

    Harvest Project – provides support for individuals and families coping with difficult life circumstances
    1073 Roosevelt Cres, North Vancouver, BC V7P1M4

    Please mention that you were referred from the North Shore Emergency Management Office and bring this document with you.

    TZU CHI (Buddhist compassion Relief Tzu Chi Foundation) – provides long term support to families in need. They can provide a variety of support including Mandarin and Cantonese translation, emergency cash, grocery vouchers and emergency relief materials such as pillows, blankets, boots and flashlights.

    8850 Osier Street, Vancouver, BC V6P 4G2

    North Shore Community Resources Society – Seniors one stop center, information and referral services at the front desk, information and referrals for child care

    Capilano Mall - Suite 201- 935 Marine Drive, North Van V7P 1S3
    604-983-3303 – Seniors One Stop North Vancouver
    604-925-7474 – Seniors One Stop West Vancouver

    Partners in Hope – a community group offering support and housing for victims of harmful circumstances. Their website offers an affordable housing list, an accessible housing list and a rental housing search option. It also has a food co-op, free and low cost dental services and other useful services.

                            557 E. 21st Avenue, Vancouver

    Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction
         1050 Churchill Cres
         North Vancouver, BC V7P 3M7         
    Service Canada Employment Insurance EI - provides temporary financial assistance to unemployed Canadians who have lost their job through no fault of their own, while they look for work or upgrade their skills. North Shore Service Canada Centre

                            Toll free: 1-800-206-7218
                            221 West Esplanade, Suite 100,       
                            North Vancouver, BC.
                            Monday – Friday 8:30 – 4:00 pm

    General Inquiries 1-800-622-6232 which also covers Canada Pension Plan (CPP), Old Age Security (OAS), Social Insurance Number (SIN)

    ICBC – Report a claim:  604-520-8222 open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    Or Visit:           Driver’s Service Center 604-661-2255
                            125 East 13th Street, North Vancouver, BC, V7L 3L2


    Simple tips for cleaning your home after a fire

    Wash the room from the top down (i.e., start with the ceiling, then the walls, then the furniture, then the floor).

    If soot or dust is floating in the air, wear a dust mask.  If there is no soot/dust in the air, a dust mask may not be necessary.

    Wash every surface that soot may have landed on.


    • If the ceiling is smooth, wipe it down with damp rags. Rinse the rags frequently.
    • If the ceiling is “popcorn” stucco, sweep it with a broom. Then wipe it with slightly damp rags. (Note: bits of white ceiling “popcorn” may fall down when you sweep. This is ok. You can clean them up last when you clean the floor).


    • Use Fantastic spray cleaner (“Fantastic Original” NOT “Fantastic with bleach”) or Simple Green spray cleaner. Wipe walls down with a damp rag. Rinse the rag frequently.

    Upholstered Furniture (i.e., sofa):

    • Vacuum lightly (don’t press the soot into the fabric) and then gently wipe with a damp cloth.


    • Rent a carpet cleaning machine and use it on the sofa; it will come with an “upholstery device”.

    Hard Surfaces (i.e., table, shelf, counter):

    • Use Fantastic spray cleaner (“Fantastic Original” NOT “Fantastic with bleach”) or Simple Green spray cleaner. Wipe surface with a damp rag. Rinse the rag frequently.

    Smell of Smoke:

    • If, after cleaning, the smell of smoke is still there, Febreeze air freshener may help. It is available at most stores.

    Need help cleaning your home?

  • Restoration companies specialize in cleaning homes and buildings after fires, floods and other emergencies.  They know how to deal with soot on all surfaces after a fire, and have specialized equipment and trained staff to help restore your home after a fire. Check the yellow pages under “Fire and Water Damage Restoration”.